BVB party? Witsel is chatting: I'm gone next season

The secret, which has not been there for a long time, is now officially none: on Saturday, midfielder Axel Witsel confirmed that he will leave BVB in the summer after four years.

In a media round, the Belgian answered the journalists to the journalists after the 3: 4 defeat of BVB against VfL Bochum and initially spoke of things that the team ("we") had to do better in the coming season. Shortly afterwards, Witsel confirmed that there will be no more "we" for him when he said: "I said 'we', but I won't be there anymore, I'm gone next season."

Ultimately, Witsel only spoke out what was already all known about the Signal Iduna Park. It has been reported for months that Borussia Dortmund will separate from the Belgian in summer.

His farewell was already in the room in the past winter break. Benfica, Barca and Liège were associated with a last-minute obligation at the end of January 2022. As is well known, a change did not come about, but the end of his BVB period was ultimately only postponed.

Witsel "sad" about BVB subscription

"I am very happy that I played here at the highest level for four years," the Belgian looked back on his time in Dortmund on Saturday. Now he was "sad" that he left the club, he again confirmed his farewell: "In the end this is the life of a footballer. I'm looking forward to the last game, but I will also be very sad."

The 33-year-old replies to his VfL Bochuming future, replies to the corresponding demand. After all, one station (still) categorically concluded: "I don't go back to Belgium. Not yet."

For BVB, Axel Witsel has so far been on the pitch in 103 Bundesliga, eleven DFB Cup and 27 European Cup games. The Belgian scored 13 goals.

Comments