This is the company that made 'Ratropolis'

There is a developer that I wanted to meet once. In the past, the main character is Kassel Games, who achieved 84 metacritics among domestic indie games, and was recognized for the originality and novelty of the game.

Kassel Games is an indie developer established by the students of Sogang University Game Education Center. 'Ratropolis', which has been prepared since student days, attracted a lot of attention not only in Korea but also in foreign countries by putting rats as the main characters in tower defense, deck buildings and logite elements. And through this Play Expo, we are trying to announce a new start with the next work called 'Ratophy' rather than 'Ratropolis'.

From funding to early access and official launch, I was able to feel the unknown feelings of the development of Kassel Games. I borrowed this Play Expo and met Hwang Sung -jin, CEO of Kassel Games, and listened to the details and the next work.

Q. Please introduce Kassel Games.

Kassel Games is a talent development team that started from the student at Sogang University Game Education Center. Now, he is developing a work called Ratropolis and a new work called Ratophy.

Currently, there are five team members and will soon hire a programmer and will be 6. In addition, we adopt one more UI designer.

Q. Usually, I'll be worried about getting a job after graduation. What did you establish Kassel Games?

First of all, I went to the Game Education Center to make a game I want to make. What I felt about my career when I was in fourth grade was that I would make a game that I requested rather than my game.

So I squeezed the curriculum so that I could make the game I want to make at the training center, and at the end I made my own game wonderful and released it, and then decided to decide on my career.

But after making it, the users would like to develop more. When I participated in the contest, I cheered me a lot that I had fun, but I thought I wanted to keep my promise because it remained deeply in my chest.

In addition, the team members who made the game together gave me an opinion that I would like to proceed with the official release. So I went to start -up.

Q. When is the most difficult moment while working as an indie development team?

Since we don't live in the company, I think I want to learn something like expertise. There were some parts that had to learn and grow on their own without a shooter, and to develop self -development.

In addition, there is a shortage of things that are trying to create a company system, and now it is supplementing this. I sometimes think that it would have been good from the beginning because I was right and changed.

Q. The first game, Ratropolis, and Ratopia, have been unusually the rat as the main character. Is there a reason?

There are three reasons. The name of the game I planned by myself while attending school was 'Rat Ropolis'. It was a rhythm game where rats go up the tower, but for the first time, I thought it would be good to have a rat as the main character.

The indie game team felt a bit like a lab. Even before clinical trials, you should first test on animals like rats. In the process, many experimental rats have been sacrificed and one surviving surviving really benefits the world. In large corporations, you will definitely make a lot of verified games, but the indie development team is trying to find fun while doing a lot of experiments. I felt like a similar feeling in that part.

The last third is to say that it's unusual to be a rat. There were a lot of games such as raising cats in the market and cat Tycoon. I also like cats, but now I think the characteristic parts will fall a lot. So there aren't many games with rats, so I put the rat as the main character to get more attention by taking advantage of these features.

Q. If you think about it now, it would have been strange if 'Rat Ropolis' came out as an animal other than a rat.

The art is to talk a lot about our team. He doesn't like rats very much.

So I actively reflected the needs of the next small art, so I wanted to make a pretty and more cute rat than the previous 1. Thanks to this, the hairstyles and costumes have diversified.

** Q. 'Ratropolis' was born by mixing various genres such as logite, city construction, tower defense, and deck building.

It seems that the tendency to choose a mixed genre to enhance our own originality. When I play the game, there are times when the idea is that it will be fun to mix with this. That way, I challenged a lot.

On the other hand, I thought it was a bit dangerous to make new fun from the beginning. It would be harder to explain to the users if I made something new, so I thought it was easy to develop the difficulty of developing and making it easy to make the development of the games that had been really fun.

Q. So what's the game you refer to in development?

Ratropolis referred to a lot of games called 'Slay the Spire' and 'Kingdom: Newland'. In addition, we also referred to the types of tower defense, such as Kingdom Rush, and Hearthstone.

'Slay the Spire' has been fun since early access, but I felt it while playing this game. Before starting, we were a student team, and the quality of development was limited. But Slay the Spy was not a huge game in art or programming.

It feels good for students to challenge. I think I could try it similarly with our abilities.

Q. What changed inside the team after the first work?

I really developed it. I developed while working with part -time jobs and studies, but as I successfully completed the launch through crowdfunding and government support, we have created an environment where team members can focus on development. Originally developed in a cafe or school, but now I am working hard to develop my office.

And I was given the conditions to try the next work. In addition, there was a chance to recruit new team members, and it is getting a lot of feeling that it is gradually developing in terms of company welfare.

Q. Why did you choose to launch a mobile platform after the launch of Ratropolis?

When I first planned, I planned as a mobile game. I have to do a play test while developing, but it's hard to respond to each device. So, first of all, I launched the PC version first when I was released on a PC and if my grades were fine, I would consider mobile.

Q. When I revealed my next work on Kassel Games's homepage, I asked about the update of Ratropolis. What do you think about this?

In fact, there are a lot of things I want to do in Ratropolis, but the development period is already too long. I've been updating development for almost three years. Currently, mobile versions have been released, so if you are updating, you have to respond to PCs, Android, and 3 iOS.

There are currently a programmer in Kassel Games, but I have a lot to handle al1. The list I want to do is piled up, but I shouldn't be delayed, and I planned that the programmer was too stressed to do it little by little. It's a lot of users who don't satisfy that because they want users.

Q. So I think I saw a lot of opinions that the user wanted a creative yard where the user made a mode.

I liked it internally, so I looked for it, but there are very few precedents in Korea, so there are not many situations where I can ask or ask.

Ratropolis - Tutorial & Early Game Experience Even though I talked from the beginning and developed it from the beginning to support things like the next small creation yard, I don't know how it will be applied.

Almost successful games support the creative yard to satisfy many users. So, if we receive a lot of evaluation and respond well, we think that we want to support the creative yard even if we ask for advice or pay for the famous programmer.

On the other hand, I think it would be nice to have a lecture on this. There are a lot of things that I don't know and have to learn, but in fact, if you invest in this part, you will give up the game development and content completion.

Q. If so, how was the game that was developed as the next work.

I really like simulation games. So I always thought I wanted to make a simulation game since ancient times. However, it was difficult to plan and the programming was complicated, so the development of the development was considerable.

Comments